- Cycling burns 600 calories an hour
- On a bicycle you can travel 3 times faster than you can walk, for the same amount of energy.
- Twenty bicycles can be parked in the same space taken up by one car.
- Cycling is great exercise: leisurely cycling (around 12 mph) burns calories at the same rate as very brisk walking (faster than 4mph)
- On a bicycle you can expect to be as fit as an average person ten years younger, if you cycle regularly.
- On a bicycle you weigh about six times more than your vehicle. With a car your vehicle weighs around twenty times more than you do.
- On a bicycle you protect yourself against the 'Western Diseases' of heart disease, high blood pressure, obesity and stress.
- Around half of car trips in our major cities are less than 5km - In fact 40% are less than 3km (7-8min bike ride.)